Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
Great win by US women’s volleyball. Almost blew a 2 set lead to Serbia but held on. Serbia won the most recent world championship

Watching Ledecky swim the 1500 is hilarious. I dont know many other races that are never in doubt from the opening horn.

I would be curious to see what the average is for other Olympic races. 200's are brutal. Go out 0.5 seconds to fast, and you will pay for it on the final 25m. Go out 0.5 seconds to slow, and you are already out of medal contention. In events where races are decided in tenths, if not hundredths, of a second, any slight miscalculation can immediately have negative repercussions.

US won a gold in rowing. That doesnt happen often

Also I am so excited for kayak cross next week....Ski Cross and Snowboard cross are the best of the winter olympics. To see that chaos on the water? Hell yes

US won a gold in rowing. That doesnt happen often

Also I am so excited for kayak cross next week....Ski Cross and Snowboard cross are the best of the winter olympics. To see that chaos on the water? Hell yes
Last time I was so excited about Rowing was 50 years ago-While I was at the Univ of Wis we won 3 Mens Varsity 8 Nattys.
Recruiting was literally the Coach hanging around the Class sign ups at the Gym-he would look for big strong Freshmen in their HS letter jackets. Basically none had ever rowed before.The NCAA does not sanction Mens rowing The Intercollegiate Rowing Association does

This is disgusting on so many levels.
Please don’t derail another good thread with your transphobia. There’s no evidence this result had anything to do with the Algerian boxer’s gender. The Italian says she got punched in the nose and decided she could not safely continue. That’s the whole story.

Please don’t derail another good thread with your transphobia. There’s no evidence this result had anything to do with the Algerian boxer’s gender. The Italian says she got punched in the nose and decided she could not safely continue. That’s the whole story.
Is the Algerian boxer known to be transgendered? The linked article was unclear.

Edit: Wikipedia says “in her early years (meaning her age)” her father disapproved of boxing for girls. fwiw

2nd edit: she is not transgendered, she was born with a “disorder of sex development (DOD).

Last edited:
Is the Algerian boxer known to be transgendered? The linked article was unclear.

Edit: Wikipedia says “in her early years (meaning her age)” her father disapproved of boxing for girls. fwiw
No, not at all. From other reporting, it appears her T levels have at times been higher than some organizations’ standards for eligibility for women’s competitions. But as everyone with a brain knows, that can be caused by multiple things. It could be natural hormone variations. It could be that she’s intersex. It could be doping. Or it’s theoretically possible she’s a biological male identifying as a woman. But there’s literally no evidence to confirm the latter, even if it’s what all the transphobes on the right are reflexively assuming.

In any event, she met the qualifications to compete in women’s Olympic boxing. That should be the end of this story. But I’m sure it won’t be.

[moving this to the Olympics & Politics thread to avoid gumming up the Olympics sports/results thread]

Last edited:
I’m not able to watch but apparently Biles killed on the Vault in her first of four rotations in the women’s all-around, scoring 15.766

Back