Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
I’m impressed by the men’s breakdancing, but have no feel for the judging. Multiple times I’ve thought one guy was clearly better, only to have the judges give both rounds to his opponent.

The judging is varied among like 5 categories with a lot of subjectivity, so there's definitely some bias going on. The Japanese kid a bit ago was clearly on par if not better than the American kid Victor, but apparently he's the world champ and his scores sailed him through to the next round. Should've at least been much closer than it was.

The commentator yesterday was way better at explaining the technicalities of the judging than this woman today who isn't adding much of anything.

The judging is varied among like 5 categories with a lot of subjectivity, so there's definitely some bias going on. The Japanese kid a bit ago was clearly on par if not better than the American kid Victor, but apparently he's the world champ and his scores sailed him through to the next round. Should've at least been much closer than it was.

The commentator yesterday was way better at explaining the technicalities of the judging than this woman today who isn't adding much of anything.

Definitely one of the matches I was referring to

Hopefully women can hold on these last 10 minutes for gold in the soccer match against Brazil.

I personally think the medal count needs to be somehow revised to account for the relative size of the team. I know it is self serving but it just doesn't seem the same for what the soccer, basketball, volleyball etc teams go through over the course of the games to be the same as break dancing, table tennis or balance beam. China clearly has a plan and goal to load up on the niche sports because they want to 'win' the gold medal count.

I personally think the medal count needs to be somehow revised to account for the relative size of the team. I know it is self serving but it just doesn't seem the same for what the soccer, basketball, volleyball etc teams go through over the course of the games to be the same as break dancing, table tennis or balance beam. China clearly has a plan and goal to load up on the niche sports because they want to 'win' the gold medal count.
USA has plenty of medals in random individual sports too. Especially silvers and bronzes to run up the overall medal count.

Swimming and track especially have SO many medals and many of them in very similar events. I agree with you that it’s silly to discount the one medal that the volleyball team can win but some swimmer can get 7 or 8 medals by doing slightly different distances of the same race plus a couple relays.

China 110% has a plan. It's their version of sport-washing, using the Olympics as an avenue to boost international reputation. I don't knock them for it at all. The US has plenty of advantages that we use to our fullest. Game on

USA and New Zealand went to a jump-off in the high jump for gold. Our guy failed his jump, then they paused the competition to run the 4x400 relay. Then after the rest, the NZ guy hits his jump and wins.

That seems…like bullshit

USA and New Zealand went to a jump-off in the high jump for gold. Our guy failed his jump, then they paused the competition to run the 4x400 relay. Then after the rest, the NZ guy hits his jump and wins.

That seems…like bullshit

Agreed. They were tired and he got like a ten minute rest

The losing teams' players should be forced to play professionally in their own country for the next 4 years.

Back