Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
Takeaways...
  1. . . ..
  2. Athletes deserve better than cardboard beds. Make apartments and turn them into affordable housing or even homeless shelters (LA)
  3. . . ..
In the summer of 1971, Ispent about a week in the Olympic Village from the 1964 Olympics. It was quite nice, but I was 16 and from Eastern NC. In retrospect, it was more like a minimum security prison.

Because golds are actually WINNING the events. Which is the hardest part and what everyone is trying to actually do.
No kidding. But if that's all that mattered then they would only give out golds and nobody would get a silver or bronze. Winning the overall medal count is also a huge accomplishment given the number of athletes that compete in these sports. At any rate we finished tied for gold medals, so at least the Chinese won't get to gloat too much.

Pro players make more in Europe playing women’s basketball than the USA (at least until the new WNBA contract kicks in next more). Not playing in the WNBA doesn’t mean the same thing on the world stage as not playing in the NBA.

Are the games well attended in Europe or are they subsidized like the WNBA?

In the summer of 1971, Ispent about a week in the Olympic Village from the 1964 Olympics. It was quite nice, but I was 16 and from Eastern NC. In retrospect, it was more like a minimum security prison.
The Olympic Village for the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid was built with the plan for it to become a prison afterwards. It’s a medium security federal prison - FCI Ray Brook.

It was so popular with Olympians that many stayed hours away.

No kidding. But if that's all that mattered then they would only give out golds and nobody would get a silver or bronze. Winning the overall medal count is also a huge accomplishment given the number of athletes that compete in these sports. At any rate we finished tied for gold medals, so at least the Chinese won't get to gloat too much.

China finished second as far as I'm concerned. They are the larger country, we won the bigger events, and we won by far the most medals - the most we've won since 1984 in Los Angeles, and the most won by any country since the cheating Soviet Union in 1988.

The closing ceremony not so awesome as the opening ceremony. The ring bit went on a little too long, but had a great ending.

I can’t tell if the Chinese athletes are there or not, I assume they must be.

Agreed, the ring segment became tedious and I didn’t care for the music performance afterward. I’m still watching for the LA handover and to squeeze the last drop from these Games.

Oh wow, Tom Cruise just descended down upon the Closing Ceremony stage from high above. He took the Olympic Flag and put it on back of his Maverick Cycle, before speeding away. Went to a plane and free falled before chuting down upon the hills of Hollywood to deliver the flag, where Red Hot Chili Peppers are waiting beachside to jam.

All in a matter of minutes. There is nothing Mr. Cruise can not do.

Last edited:
Back