The Music Thread

I’ve tried—and I just can’t get into Boygenius. IMO, they’re an example of lesser than the sum of their parts. Each artist individually (or with their own backing band) is better than their joint effort.

I dunno—maybe I’m just done with disaffected indie girl stuff for now. It’s been all the rage for a few years, time for something new.

I’ve tried—and I just can’t get into Boygenius. IMO, they’re an example of lesser than the sum of their parts. Each artist individually (or with their own backing band) is better than their joint effort.

I dunno—maybe I’m just done with disaffected indie girl stuff for now. It’s been all the rage for a few years, time for something new.
Nothing disaffected about this cover. It’s soaring and luscious.

Great song. Nat was the first to record it.

jazzy !

speaking of jazz, I had the opportunity to see Ahmad Jamal in Durham back in the day. Poinciana is one of my all time favorite jazz pieces from one my all time jazz albums :cool:

Last edited:
I heard something about that but didn't get the details...

There’s other stuff. Plus I saw him live in Budapest in 2018 and he was a complete asshole to an adoring crowd. Dude is not handling his aging well at all.

There’s other stuff. Plus I saw him live in Budapest in 2018 and he was a complete asshole to an adoring crowd. Dude is not handling his aging well at all.
Well that sucks. Not that I'm a big Sun Kil Moon fan, but I have liked several of their (his) songs that I've heard...

Not necessarily applicable to Boygenious, but I find that “supergroups” are almost always lesser than the sum of their parts.

I heard he was a total asshole to the crowd at the Hopscotch festival several years ago. Called the people on the crowd inbreds, etc. Maybe that’s part of his “performance art.”

While not a total asshole, Bill Callahan is an example of an artist who is fairly rude to his audience when he performs (unless that’s changed; I haven’t seen him perform in over 10 years), but I think that’s part of the act for him.

had a rockin' good time seeing him at the Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw.

it don't get better than this :cool:

Trivia question: Who was his room mate at Texas A&M ?

I dunno. That band is not my cup of tea at all, but I'm not hearing anything disaffected in that song. Seems like a pretty genuine vocal performance.

I have a few friends whose musical taste I respect who are devoted to boygenius as well as to the individual members, esp. Phoebe. I'm not nearly as devoted as they are, but thru their ministrations I've heard a lot more of them than I would've otherwise and I do think they're quite good...

Back