The Music Thread

Course, my roots are old and outlaw country and the blues. This is more contemporary than what I normally listen to but found both these people interesting.

Saw them, the Nighthawks and George Thorogood one night in Raleigh. George got a bit overshadowed by both.
My story about the Nighthawks...

I was at Rose's Cantina in Atlanta listening to The Fabulous Thunderbirds featuring Jimmy Vaughan on lead guitar. Shortly after midnight a group of guys came in and mingled with the group during a break. After the break those guys took the stage . Jimmy Thackery took Vaughan's guitar and the place went wild.

I asked someone who these guys were and was told they were the Nighthawks and had just finished a performance at the the Great Southeast Music Hall. They played at the Hall again the next night and I was there sitting on the floor drinking buckets of beer and listening to one of the best blues bands ever !

The older I get the more I listen to Van Morrison
I love Van the man ! I still wear my Van the man tee-shirt at 72yo:cool:

I had the privilege of seeing him in Atlanta at Alex Cooley's Capri Ballroom in Buckhead when he was wrapping up his "Wave Length" tour
He had a 12 piece band including 4 dynomite back up girl singers.

I had a seat at the bar and was thinking I can't believe I'm here

I have a dozen Morrison CDs but my favorite is Saint Dominic's Preview

and my all time favorite is his "Caravan" performance on the "Last Waltz" ... it don't get better than that🤩

Last edited:

I had the privilege of seeing him in Atlanta at Alex Cooley's Capri Ballroom in Buckhead when he was wrapping up his "Wave Length" tour

and my all time favorite is his "Caravan" performance on the "Last Waltz" ... it don't get better than that🤩

St. Dominic's is my favorite as well. My main ringtone is a snippet of Jackie Wilson Said. Ding-a-ling-aling...

It's a shame he is a weird guy. Great musical talent.

I may post more later. Would appreciate feedback, including telling me to quit being a nuisance. (although good luck with that.)
Pretty good stuff. My father played in big bands/swing as a teenager and later in Cleveland. Played with Tommy Dorsey once when they needed a last minute sit-in. Stopped playing when he moved to NC for a "real" job. Picked back up after he retired. So I grew up listening to all that music including the " Great American Songbook".

And post as much as you want. It's why god invented scrolling...

Also love St. Dominic's with Astral Weeks close behind. And agreed that is a all time Caravan performance.

On a related note, I had the pleasure of seeing Warren Haynes, Jamey Johnson, Lukas Nelson, Don Was, Cyril Neville and others recreate the Last Waltz concert at DPAC a few years ago. Heck of a show!!
.1118192254.jpg

Also love St. Dominic's with Astral Weeks close behind. And agreed that is a all time Caravan performance.

On a related note, I had the pleasure of seeing Warren Haynes, Jamey Johnson, Lukas Nelson, Don Was, Cyril Neville and others recreate the Last Waltz concert at DPAC a few years ago. Heck of a show!!
.1118192254.jpg
There's some folks some of whom teach/associated with CH School of Rock that has been doing the Last Waltz at the Cradle Thanksgiving Saturday for a few years. Crazy Chester. Pretty damn good.

My oldest brother is 10 years older than me so when I 10-11-12 he was going though a huge music phase going to shows and hanging out in bars as a newly 21 year old. He was big into Primus and I stole one of his Primus shirts and would wear it to school. I listened to the music and only ever liked the song my name is mud probably because of the name. I can hear that bass riff in my head to this day. They were a little over my head at that age because 10-year-olds at the time were listening to ESPN Jock Jams and the Men in Black soundtrack.
Johnnie was a race car driver. Drove so goddamn fast. Never did see that checkered flag, but never did come in last.

So far, I’m not seeing anything that much resonates with me. I’m a musical product of the 1980s and 1990s, technically, but I rarely listen to anything from back then on purpose.

What I do listen to is:

Car Seat Headrest
Cherry Glazerr
Wolf Alice
Sleigh Bells
Run the Jewels
The Last Dinner Party
Grouplove
Parquet Courts
Bleachers
Chvrches
Grimes
Phantogram
The Decemberists
M.I.A.
Silversun Pickups
Santigold

Hearty additional endorsement for God is an Astronaut and This Will Destroy You. I have an algorithmic station built around those two, plus an amalgam of Explosions in the Sky, M83, Mogwai, We Lost the Sea, etc. I tend to need sound over silence to unspool the day's anxieties, and mask baseline tinnitus. The station based on the aforementioned artists gives me a wide range of sounds to neutralize my endogenous high pitched "EEEEEEE!", while mellow enough to help facilitate meditations.

If I listen to music with lyrics it tends to be obnoxiously pleading, e.g. Bon Iver, Horse Feathers, Daughter, and Guster.
You are the second person I’ve ever heard mention Guster as a favorite band. The other is the host of a soccer podcast I listen to a lot, Caught Offside.

I love this thread. You guys are the friends I needed and never had. Thanks for all the videos and suggestions. Here's one of my favorite "lesser known" artists:

Back