Tyreek Hill and Scottie Scheffler

• Thread starter Thread starter theel4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 326
  • Views: 4K
  • Sports 
and you can hear that they knew it was Tyrek Hill before anything escalated. If it is some rando in an expensive car, then maybe you can understand some context of why the cops would be nervous not to see inside the vehicle, but what are they thinking a NFL star is going to take a shot at them 2 miles from the stadium on game day? GMAFB.
maybe the knowing it was Tyrek, was the reason for the escalation.

I am not defending the cops. I am defending them up to the point of dragging his sorry ass out of the car, cuffing him, and making him get down. Any excessive force after that, they should get the maximum, not just lost jobs but battery charges.
You are right, police have very hard jobs and most of them do it and we never hear about it.

It would have been best had Tyreek just rolled the window down and STFU until he got his ticket, but once he was out of the car, the cuffs and the treatment appear, in my opinion, to be the cops pride working, instead of his head. At that point they no longer had the concern of not being able to see in the car.

If he was kicked when he was already forced out of car, cuffed, and on the ground as I'm sure their procedures call for, then absolutely that is excessive force. Whether running his mouth or not, that guy should be fired. Unless he was trying to get up or was kicking himself. But I haven't seen that. They have all the body cam footage and it should be released or at least shared with Hill's lawyers.

But I stand by what I said, hauling his ass out of car, cuffing, and telling, then having to force him to the ground, was all necessary.
Necessary?

This was a traffic enforcement action. The officer clearly didn't feel threatened, based on his behavior. And the officer clearly didn't feel it was necessary, because he changed his mind about threatening to get him out of the car and then making him, on the basis of, "in fact, you know what..."

This was 100% a choice by an officer to punish someone for behavior that was not illegal, because he didn't like it. That's not the test for when force is appropriate, let alone "necessary."

Yes you can keep your windows up. All you are required to do is provide your driving documentation, which he did. And who cares if he said don’t knock on my window? That doesn’t justify pulling him out of the car, shoving him to the ground and cuffing him.

According to the Google machine, you are required to get out of the car when asked per a Florida Supreme Court decision. They ruled that officer safety trumps the momentary inconvenience of being forced to get out of the car. If Hill didn't get out of the car, police "could" pull him out.

The emphasis is on could. They don't have to and it looked like Hill was getting out anyway. I think the one cop escalated when he shouldn't have.

They still haven’t shown the footage of the cop kicking him.
It could be that the cop didn't kick him. From the videos yesterday it sure did look like the cop ran over to him and to me kicked him. However, in the bodycam vid from today, that same cop can be seen running over to him and tackling him down to the ground. It could have been that and not a kick, like I thought yesterday from watching the video from a different angle.

Yes you can keep your windows up. All you are required to do is provide your driving documentation, which he did. And who cares if he said don’t knock on my window? That doesn’t justify pulling him out of the car, shoving him to the ground

But he did lower his window to hand him his documents which is all he is required to do. There was no reason to require his window to stay down and he is under no obligation to even speak to the officer. Just take the documents back to your vehicle, write the ticket and go about your day.

Wrong. A detained driver is required to roll down his window when asked by an officer and the officer is talking to him. In fact, Hill could have been arrested for refusing that alone.

This is very simple. During a traffic stop you are technically being detained. Yes you have the right to remain silent. But you are officially detained and must follow procedures (other than illegal ones such as search without reasonable cause.)

You are retained until you are handed the citation and you sign it (which is not an admission of guilt.)

You can not sit in your car and refuse to open your window being a belligerant asshole. You are still being detained, again, until are handed the citation and sign it which is your official release.

Where the officers screwed up, and were just being lazy, is they should have arrested his sorry ass and sent him to jail, until his fame, lawyers, and money got him off without so much as a ticket being issued.

So yes, this was all avoidable had they just done their job and arrested the bird brain criminal, which still would have required dragging his ass out of the car.

He's one of the fastest men in the country. Not many people faster than NFL wide receivers. Certainly much faster and stronger than a typical beat cop.
I remember a State Trooper talking to us in Driver’s Ed. He gave us 3 reasons not to run from the cops/troopers:
  • One, we drive all day, every day. We’re better drivers;
  • Two, our cars are likely faster than yours (might not be true for an NFL star);
  • Three, we have radios. You’re not outrunning the radio.

He didn’t hold his license up against the window. He rolled it down and handed his information to the officer. At that point he has done what he is required to do. The officer had no reason to tell him to lower his window after that except he was mad about being disrespected. The correct response by a responsible officer would be to go to his vehicle, write the ticket and go back and hand it to him.

Yes you can keep your windows up. All you are required to do is provide your driving documentation, which he did. And who cares if he said don’t knock on my window? That doesn’t justify pulling him out of the car, shoving him to the ground

He didn’t hold his license up against the window. He rolled it down and handed his information to the officer. At that point he has done what he is required to do. The officer had no reason to tell him to lower his window after that except he was mad about being disrespected. The correct response by a responsible officer would be to go to his vehicle, write the ticket and go back and hand it to him.

Again, factually wrong. You are mixing best case scenario with legal requirements and limits.

Best case scenario would have been for Hill to roll his window down, put his hands at 10 and 2 and comply. He didn't nor is he required by law to do so.

On the flip side, when a motorist is pulled for cause (speeding or reckless driving) he is being detained and is detained until he signs the ticket and released. The officer can request (demand) the driver get out of his car and go to a different area, even a squad car if one present.

Your statement that all Hill had to do was wait for his ticket is 100% false, according to the law.

The officers will still most likely pay for not accepting the attitude of a star athlete creating drama and playing victim. But your statements over and over are totally inaccurate and false.

Again, factually wrong. You are mixing best case scenario with legal requirements and limits.

Best case scenario would have been for Hill to roll his window down, put his hands at 10 and 2 and comply. He didn't nor is he required by law to do so.

On the flip side, when a motorist is pulled for cause (speeding or reckless driving) he is being detained and is detained until he signs the ticket and released. The officer can request (demand) the driver get out of his car and go to a different area, even a squad car if one present.

Your statement that all Hill had to do was wait for his ticket is 100% false, according to the law.

The officers will still most likely pay for not accepting the attitude of a star athlete creating drama and playing victim. But your statements over and over are totally inaccurate and false.
Explain why the officer needed the window down after he got the documents and all that was left to do was write the ticket. If you say safety you are full of shit.

He didn’t tell him to eff off.
The cop just needed to write the ticket and everyone moves on with their day.
The driver is not required to be polite or kiss the cops ass. There are many unfriendly, salty people out there, cops need to be able to deal with them.
We’ve all seen worse outcomes in these situations. Hill probably benefited from the large amount of traffic and other people being around.

Last edited:
He's one of the fastest men in the country. Not many people faster than NFL wide receivers. Certainly much faster and stronger than a typical beat cop.
Why would that factor into him being cuffed?

Last edited:
Back