UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
Seen them before. Seen them in Kenan with good old Mack coaching them once...
Ah, well, that complicates things.

Personally, I'd go see UT at UM, but that's only because it's a much better game than Charlotte at UNC.

• You know what you’re getting when you read an article by Adam. He writes from the unquestioning, die-hard fan perspective. I like his writing it’s a nice change of pace from the serious, cynical reporters.

a) Adam is great for his one-of-a-kind access into locker rooms - usually for men's basketball but occasionally for everything else. He's a paid sunshine pumper but that access and intimacy allows his writing to have narratives and context that's pretty unmatched, and he's a good enough writer to make it pay off. I don't read him to be better informed as a fan, I read him to either be ready to run through a brick wall or shed several tears as part of my UNC fandom.

b) Staples and Vipp's problem is that they're way too easily suckered by Mack and others around the program. By the end of the season last year, Vipp was openly saying that UNC was entering every game at a coaching disadvantage on the sidelines - as close as he could get to just calling for Mack to be fired. Now, it's a new year and he's back to defending their decisions and taking their word and actions at the QB position as gospel. Same with Staples, who's straight up embarrassing himself at this point on the boards doubling down on his take that Max Johnson's play Thursday night was that of an average-to-above average NCAA quarterback, because saying otherwise would be saying that the coaching staff made a mistake locking in on him as early as they did. He also bought into the absolutely nonsense conspiracy theory that Longo wasn't giving Chizik the looks he needed in practice and that Chiz would have a much better defense in '23, until he got shut up by Greg.
Just to be clear, I doubt Adam Lucas has ever been paid for anything by UNC or IC or any other source. His family is ULTRA wealthy and they are some of the largest donors to UNC athletics. When our coaches fly around the country to visit recruits, they almost always do it on a jet owned by the Lucas family.

In agreement the athlete's medical care is handled by the school. What is not handled as you would imagine is anything extra or the family's stay to be with their son during and following surgery.

Last edited:
Alright, need some guidance here. We have e season tickets to both Carolina and Michigan.

BUT...

They are playing Texas on Saturday and the Lions are home against the Rams on Sunday night so we would also go to that, but I'm struggling with this one...
You're joking, right?

Just to be clear, I doubt Adam Lucas has ever been paid for anything by UNC or IC or any other source. His family is ULTRA wealthy and they are some of the largest donors to UNC athletics. When our coaches fly around the country to visit recruits, they almost always do it on a jet owned by the Lucas family.
You don't think he's paid by the University/AD for his GoHeels writing?

a) Adam is great for his one-of-a-kind access into locker rooms - usually for men's basketball but occasionally for everything else. He's a paid sunshine pumper but that access and intimacy allows his writing to have narratives and context that's pretty unmatched, and he's a good enough writer to make it pay off. I don't read him to be better informed as a fan, I read him to either be ready to run through a brick wall or shed several tears as part of my UNC fandom.

b) Staples and Vipp's problem is that they're way too easily suckered by Mack and others around the program. By the end of the season last year, Vipp was openly saying that UNC was entering every game at a coaching disadvantage on the sidelines - as close as he could get to just calling for Mack to be fired. Now, it's a new year and he's back to defending their decisions and taking their word and actions at the QB position as gospel. Same with Staples, who's straight up embarrassing himself at this point on the boards doubling down on his take that Max Johnson's play Thursday night was that of an average-to-above average NCAA quarterback, because saying otherwise would be saying that the coaching staff made a mistake locking in on him as early as they did. He also bought into the absolutely nonsense conspiracy theory that Longo wasn't giving Chizik the looks he needed in practice and that Chiz would have a much better defense in '23, until he got shut up by Greg.
Max was 12 for 19 and made a nice run for TD. Receivers did not help him at all. He was definitely paying his best when he got injured. His INT could have been caught but definitely should not have been INT. How good could max have been? I don't know but he had a 4 to 1 TD to INT ratio in a significant size sample in SEC.

Max was 12 for 19 and made a nice run for TD. Receivers did not help him at all. He was definitely paying his best when he got injured. His INT could have been caught but definitely should not have been INT. How good could max have been? I don't know but he had a 4 to 1 TD to INT ratio in a significant size sample in SEC.
I don't want to spend a lot of time bad-mouthing him because it sucks that he was injured, but come on, you don't believe this. Just taking the third quarter, he was 8/9 for 46 yards, at 5.1 yards per attempt. That would've been the second-worst mark in the country last year. That 89% completion means nothing if it's not actually moving the ball. He wasn't playing well, the offense was just taken out of his hands and went from completely stifled to only mostly stifled.

I don't want to spend a lot of time bad-mouthing him because it sucks that he was injured, but come on, you don't believe this. Just taking the third quarter, he was 8/9 for 46 yards, at 5.1 yards per attempt. That would've been the second-worst mark in the country last year. That 89% completion means nothing if it's not actually moving the ball. He wasn't playing well, the offense was just taken out of his hands and went from completely stifled to only mostly stifled.
What do you think I believe? All I am saying is it is not an outrageous position to argue he could be an average to above average QB. Staples has seen practices and I would submit anyone who threw 48 tds and 12 ints and started a full season for LSU is capable of some things. I know a former player who attended several practices and he kept telling me not to sleep on max.

I’ll admit that I haven’t read or listened to a ton of IC content the last few seasons, but for what it’s worth Vippolis did release an article last week that was kind of an overview of where the program stands under Mack Brown long term and it was very critical. Reading the tea leaves I don’t think he’s necessarily been suckered back in all of the sudden. He probably just doesn’t want to keep regurgitating that he thinks that the coaching staff sucks week in and week out.

Alright, need some guidance here. We have e season tickets to both Carolina and Michigan. We were of course in the Big House this weekend because there was no conflict. Next weekend is a different story. Normally this wouldn't feel like a choice...we were just at Michigan.

BUT...

They are playing Texas on Saturday and the Lions are home against the Rams on Sunday night so we would also go to that. I can't even remember the last time I intentionally missed a game in Kenan, but I'm struggling with this one...
Michigan.

Home at Kenan against Charlotte?

No, I don't think he is. The athletic department has often used volunteer writers for the official site. I did it long ago for baseball articles as well.
Huh. I didn't know that.

It would be surprising to me if someone who has written as much as Adam Lucas isn't getting paid, but I guess there's no guarantee.

Huh. I didn't know that.

It would be surprising to me if someone who has written as much as Adam Lucas isn't getting paid, but I guess there's no guarantee.
I didn’t know Adam comes from a wealthy family.

If my family was wealthy, I’d do whatever the hell I wanted (provided it was good, honest, kind work - see Adam’s writings….)…I remember Adam talking about how he got started writing for UNC…..if his family are big benefactors of UNC, his start makes a lot more sense.

We really should beat Charlotte fairly handily. The only thing that gives me pause is the offense. A couple of turnovers(Harrell has had ball safety issues) and who knows? I don't think we will see some offensive explosion like 50+ points like Maye/Howell/Marquise Williams/Trubinsky could put up against these type of teams. I would like to see Hampton play just enough to get his yardage and then see what the back up running backs can do.

Back