2024 Presidential Election | 44 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 90K
  • Politics 
I was thinking how there's never been a Gen X candidate for president (Harris is 4 months shy)....and it hit me:

There has never been a president born in the 1950s, and now, there likely never will be. Seems a bit wild to me. 4 in the 1940s, though.
Those younger boomers are too busy counting their money.

Scrooge Mcduck GIF

I wish I had your abilities. I'm not shy or introverted, I just have that almost Canadian gene where I'm like sorry for bothering sorry..
I hate it when people knock on my door for political issues/candidates and there is no way I will inflict that on others. Phone calls are a bit less intrusive but one of my college jobs was telemarketer (long before caller ID existed) and I'm not going back to calling strangers, especially now when no one answers the phone.

I was thinking how there's never been a Gen X candidate for president (Harris is 4 months shy)....and it hit me:

There has never been a president born in the 1950s, and now, there likely never will be. Seems a bit wild to me. 4 in the 1940s, though.
Up until Kamala, BHO was the only major party nominee to have been born after 1947.

We never had a president born in the 1930s either.

What’s also interesting is that, of all the presidents born in the 40s, they went from youngest to oldest. That is, Clinton was elected in 1992 and again in 1996, and he is the youngest of the four. Then Bush, who is slightly older than Clinton was elected next. Then Trump, who is slightly older then Bush, was elected eight years after Bush left office. Then Biden, who is the oldest of them all, was elected.

Last edited:
I think it's more that the older boomers (and the youngest silent generation) have largely refused to get out of the way of everyone else.
In every facet of life, honestly. At work I am thinking "why the Hell won't you retire? you are rich and 66 years old. Move on!"

In every facet of life, honestly. At work I am thinking "why the Hell won't you retire? you are rich and 66 years old. Move on!"
In what seems incomprehensible to me, 66 would mean born in 1958, which is a middle to younger boomer.

Right?! Boomers across the board just don't let go :)
I think it's a fairly natural outcome of both lengthened life spans including increased health outcomes for older folks and the rise of predominantly intellectual jobs as a mass of jobs.

If you're in good to great health, foresee living a couple more decades, enjoy what you do, and are physically/mentally able to keep doing it...why retire just because the calendar says you're 65 (or 70 or 75 or whatever)? Or even if you're only in decent health and only foresee living another decade, why not keep doing your job if you love it?

I do think that companies are going to have to figure out (and I think many already are) how to move folks out of the highest management roles, though, and into something more like vision/leadership/SME roles in order to ensure that they have a sustainable management succession plan.

I'm sure the answer is different for everyone, but I retired when I was 69 and a half years old. I was planning on retiring on the day I turned 66 which, for me, was a full Social Security payment. But I turned 66 in the middle of the worst of Covid and where I worked was just scrambling to get the work done because they were short of people and couldn't find any more. I just felt like, man, I can't leave these folks in a lurch, now of all times. So, I hung on for another 3 and half years. And when I did decide to retire, they said something like, "Just one more thing." This happened a couple of times, but I finally said, "I'm retiring, that's it."

Back