2024 Presidential Election | 46 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
Meanwhile

“… The intermediate-level Court of Appeals issued an order granting Kennedy’s request to halt the mailing of ballots that included his name. The court also told a trial judge to order the State Board of Elections to distribute ballots without Kennedy’s name on them. No legal explanation was given. …

State law otherwise required the first absentee ballots to be mailed or transmitted no later than 60 days before the general election, making Friday the deadline. The process of reprinting and assembling ballot packages likely would take more than two weeks, state attorneys have said. The ruling could be appealed. …”

Meanwhile

“… The intermediate-level Court of Appeals issued an order granting Kennedy’s request to halt the mailing of ballots that included his name. The court also told a trial judge to order the State Board of Elections to distribute ballots without Kennedy’s name on them. No legal explanation was given. …

State law otherwise required the first absentee ballots to be mailed or transmitted no later than 60 days before the general election, making Friday the deadline. The process of reprinting and assembling ballot packages likely would take more than two weeks, state attorneys have said. The ruling could be appealed. …”

The GOP can only ever cheat.

What is the RFK Jr theory as to why he has to be removed? I know he's making a completely frivolous constitutional claim, but there's a statutory claim in there as well. Does it have any merit at all?

I fully expect our appellate courts to order that ballots not be sent out until his name is removed. There will be no legal basis for that. It will simply be because NC’s appellate courts are made up mainly of Republican hacks who will ensure that anything that could potentially benefit Republicans will be carried out if they have the opportunity to rule on such things.
What do ya know? I was right.

Glad to hear the FOP is endorsing a felon with multiple indictments pending. I thought the police believed in law and order?

Nicole Wallace pointed out that this action basically calls out every Republican who is "writing someone else in" for putting party over country and she mentioned such people as Bill Barr, Romney and George W Bush by name. the last one is a big one for her.

Former President Donald J. Trump, addressing the national board of the Fraternal Order of Police in Charlotte, N.C., encouraged police officers to “watch for voter fraud” in November, a push that, if followed through on, could run afoul of multiple state laws and raise accusations of voter intimidation.

As he referenced his repeatedly debunked claims of widespread election fraud, Mr. Trump suggested that police officers could intimidate people out of conducting supposed voter fraud. “You can keep it down just by watching, because, believe it or not, they’re afraid of that badge,” he said.

Here's the statute RFK is relying on. It's a bit bizarre:

"A person who has been declared the nominee of a political party for a specified office under the provisions of G.S. 163-182.15 or G.S. 163-110, shall not be permitted to resign as a candidate unless, prior to the first day on which military and overseas absentee ballots are transmitted to voters under Article 21A of this Chapter, that [the] person submits to the board of elections which certified the nomination a written request that person be permitted to withdraw. "

So, if he didn't submit prior to the deadline, he can't withdraw; but it's vague as to whether he has to be permitted to withdraw if he does submit prior to that date. Normally, I would say the statute favors Kennedy's position here, except the law would make no sense under that interpretation as it would leave no time for the ballot to be printed. So applying the canon against absurdity, I would rule against Kennedy.

However, the case is close enough that I would expect the NC Sup Ct to rule for Kennedy without much trouble. They merely have to say, "the statute means what it says, absurdity notwithstanding."

Whoops now I can get into Truth Social again

[The “massive endorsement” is the National Fraternal Order of Police, which also endorsed him in 2020.]

Back