2024 races other than POTUS…

I assume adding Puerto Rico would provide additional electoral college votes for POTUS as well, correct?
Yes. At least as much as those states close in population and quite a bit more than the very small states.

It's entirely unclear to me why the Republicans have decided that PR is unwinnable for them. I had thought that the hurricane that forced tens of thousands of Puerto Ricans to Florida would be crushing to the GOP. Turns out that the Puerto Ricans have been pretty close to 50/50, last I checked.

Yeah, DC would likely be the most lopsided state in the country for the foreseeable future, but the GOP has only itself to blame for that. And anyway, it's not as if states like Wyoming are competitive. The reason that the sparse population of the Big Sky areas -- two Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming -- was that Congress was seeking a) political advantage; and b) graft opportunities.

But of course, Mitch McConnell is congenitally incapable of thinking about any principle at all, or even long-term political thinking. 100% of his behavior is predicted by considerations about the next election.

I'm not sure which of the following statements is more politically suicidal.
A. Women are too mouthy
B. Residents of nursing homes aren't mentally competent to vote, which I know from my up-close-and-personal experience when my bank foreclosed on a nursing home.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Midwestern GOP!
1) I wouldn’t limit that to Midwestern GOPers.

2) The mouthy women comment hurts; but, don’t mess with elderly voters.

It was, “Down goes Frazier!” The

1) I wouldn’t limit that to Midwestern GOPers.

2) The mouthy women comment hurts; but, don’t mess with elderly voters.
It's not only the elderly voters comment -- the whole is really more than the sum of its parts in that one. That guy managed to squeeze more than one of the most unpopular political ideas into one sentence. Owning a bank is not popular. Foreclosures are really unpopular. Foreclosing on grandma is really, really unpopular. Insulting grandma is really unpopular with grandmas.

Remember when Mitt Romney struggled in the Midwest because a) his private equity background and b) generally being a doosh (there was a funny Jason Jones Daily Show Segment about that)? This guy is well beyond asking Mitt to hold his beer. This guy chugged the whole freaking thing before getting busy.

It's not only the elderly voters comment -- the whole is really more than the sum of its parts in that one. That guy managed to squeeze more than one of the most unpopular political ideas into one sentence. Owning a bank is not popular. Foreclosures are really unpopular. Foreclosing on grandma is really, really unpopular. Insulting grandma is really unpopular with grandmas.

Remember when Mitt Romney struggled in the Midwest because a) his private equity background and b) generally being a doosh (there was a funny Jason Jones Daily Show Segment about that)? This guy is well beyond asking Mitt to hold his beer. This guy chugged the whole freaking thing before getting busy.
His comments are treasure chests filled with readily available material for ads.

OK, so I hadn’t dug into the bizarre Hawley/Kunce video from Missouri, but it is bizarre behavior by Hawley — the incumbent, heavily favored Senator basically stalked his underdog opponent to demand an immediate debate even though they have FIVE scheduled televised debates upcoming.

Beyond weird behavior by a guy who promotes a peculiar brand of “masculinity” as his passion.

OK, so I hadn’t dug into the bizarre Hawley/Kunce video from Missouri, but it is bizarre behavior by Hawley — the incumbent, heavily favored Senator basically stalked his underdog opponent to demand an immediate debate even though they have FIVE scheduled televised debates upcoming.

Beyond weird behavior by a guy who promotes a peculiar brand of “masculinity” as his passion.

Hawley thinks pro wrestling is real.

Back