Democratic National Convention August 19-22 (Chicago) - Kamala DNC speech got 22% more viewer than Trump RNC speech

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 1K
  • Views: 26K
I've been extremely skeptical of these "focus groups" since Trump's first run in 2016. In 2016 or 2020 CNN got fooled by a focus group of of supposedly undecided women voters, and it turned out that they were all Republicans and Trump supporters. After nine years of Trump I find it highly unlikely that any of these "undecideds" are sincere. I mean, it's nice that 6 or 7 of them decided to support Kamala, but you could tell from the way that some of them were talking that they were already leaning that way, and probably weren't truly undecided at all.
IIRC, the women in that focus group a few years ago were not only Republicans or Trump supporters but were actually members of a Women for Trump organization or something along those lines. Sad that CNN got duped like that.

I really haven't seen any real polling about the speech. most of the pundits I saw thought it was great as did I. wonder how it was received out in the wild.

So that whole "special guest" thing was weird, right? It would be one thing if it was just a silly internet rumor but the hosts on NBC were openly talking about it, and their floor correspondent all but said the guest was going to be Beyonce. And it turns out it was just all completely baseless speculation? WTF happened?

it was definitely an appeal to the entire country much moreso than democrats or progressives, which is fine with me as a progressive.

lots of rah rah America. should've appealed strongly to anyone/everyone other than the most staunch maga folk and they would've loved it if their dear leader were speaking it rather than kamala.

hell of a speech.

So that whole "special guest" thing was weird, right? It would be one thing if it was just a silly internet rumor but the hosts on NBC were openly talking about it, and their floor correspondent all but said the guest was going to be Beyonce. And it turns out it was just all completely baseless speculation? WTF happened?
Michelle Williams Fosseverdon GIF by Vulture.com
I’m really not sure the DNC was behind it though. May have just been one of those stupid things that happens all the time in our terminally online world.

200.gif
I’m really not sure the DNC was behind it though. May have just been one of those stupid things that happens all the time in our terminally online world.
Honestly not sure.

Game the thought with me... This issue with the Democratic convention is that less than 7% of the population watches it, and of those that so watch it 95+% were always gonna vote Dem anyway.

Does a rumor about a mystery guest (maybe it's Swift!) do more harm or good? If you drive more eyeballs that were not locks to vote Dem to see that speech last night from Kamala, well I can at least make a theoretical argument that that's a huge benefit. Sure, you risk disappointment, but nobody promised anything, and Kamala gets to define herself to a legion of voters would likely ignored the DNC and only really gotten exposure to Kamala via silly season political ads.

I'm not saying it was intentional. But I am saying I can make a case for it being a net positive, though.

I really enjoyed watching.

It's the first time I've ever watched the whole thing, well mostly I did fall asleep on Wednesday.

Last night I watched on ABC, someone needs to tell David Muir and that group to STFU when the speeches start. I don't recall nearly as much talking over the speaker the first three nights.

I really enjoyed watching.

It's the first time I've ever watched the whole thing, well mostly I did fall asleep on Wednesday.

Last night I watched on ABC, someone needs to tell David Muir and that group to STFU when the speeches start. I don't recall nearly as much talking over the speaker the first three nights.
My one gripe with YouTube TV is no CSPAN. Even PBS cuts away to talking heads during what they consider less important speeches. If I wanted talking heads, I'd watch CNN.

Back