JD Vance Catch-all | (Merged with newest JD Vance stand-alone thread)

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 799
  • Views: 17K
  • Politics 
“… “I shared a name with no one I really cared about (which bothered me already), and with Bob gone, explaining why my name was J.D. Hamel would require a few additional awkward moments,” he writes in “Hillbilly Elegy.” “Yeah, my legal father’s last name is Hamel. You haven’t met him because I don’t see him. No, I don’t know why I don’t see him. Of all the things that I hated about my childhood, nothing compared to the revolving door of father figures.”

So he decided to change his name again, to Vance — the last name of his beloved Mamaw, the grandmother who raised him.

It didn’t happen on his wedding day in 2014, as the book implies, but in April 2013, as he was about to graduate from Yale, Van Kirk said. It felt right to take the name of the woman who raised him before dying in 2005, as he was putting the struggles of his early life behind him and launching into this new phase.

“Throughout his tumultuous childhood, Mamaw — or Bonnie Blanton Vance — raised JD and was always his north star,” Van Kirk said in a statement. “It only felt right to him to take Vance as his last name.” …”

——

That seems relatable — guy was trying to sort through an unstable childhood and eventually took the name of the person who provided him some stability.

The tax burden is lower because we want parents to raise their children right, and raising them is expensive.

If you want the tax code to be rewritten to ignore the existence of dependent children, you're going to have a difficult time finding a political party or a candidate who agrees with you.
I think the "interest on a house loan " tax break is the biggest tax break in history-by a long shot Its as american as apple pie

Has it occurred to this dim bulb that parents might not agree on who vote for? How does he propose to resolve a child’s vote when that happens?

What a dipshit.
How does he resolve it? With a small, simple step. Just include the wife's vote with the children's vote and have the husband cast them all. And if a woman is not married, then her vote is cast by the nearest male relative, usually the father, but on occasion, the paternal grandfather, eldest brother, or eldest uncle. While never publicly stating such a position, I'm sure Vance and his ilk think August 20th should be a national day of mourning because they believe America's slow decline began on August 20, 1920. I feel quite certain that a majority of hard-core Trump followers believe that the United States would be better governed if the 19th Amendment were repealed.

Last edited:
I have never had an issue with child tax credits so long as they are phased out if a family earns over a few hundred thousand per year. You are helping the future. Now if we had universal child care. the argument for a tax credit would be less compelling. And UCC would be the most effective way to get couples to have childrem if that is the policy goal.
Having been both a homowner and an apt renter, I have always seen some problems with the mortgage interest deduction (distorts housing market, unfair to renters etc), But it is politically untouchable.

I actually liked the "Cash for Clunkers" tax credit because I thought is was a relatively inexpensive way to improve air quality. Parties use tax credits to effect policy goals: vote the party out if you don't like their goals.
But to my mind the most appalling one was giving oil companies "research and exploration" tax credits. Why do you give a business that: it should be part of their job. Maybe the Biden Admin should call student loan forgiveness a research tax credit for the research students did in their studies
OP

rut ro... MAGAS ain't gonna like this :oops:

At the same time the Donald Trump is flooding his Truth Social account with sketchy reports that Vice President Kamala Harris wanted to defund the police — when she was questioning where the funding should go — comes news from the New York Times that Sen. J.D. Vance (R-OH) was once a fierce critic of cops ,going so far as to claim he "hated" them.

In emails and texts obtained by the Times from Vance's longtime friend Sofia Nelson, in 2014 the newly annointed GOP vice presidential nominee railed at the police after the shooting of 18-year-old Black teen Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri.

He wrote to Nelson, "I hate the police. Given the number of negative experiences I’ve had in the past few years, I can’t imagine what a Black guy goes through.”

The report notes that the earlier version of Vance showed some enthusiasm for reparations, writing to Nelson, "I have at least been convinced of the virtue of compensating modern victims who’ve suffered redlining or denial of federal benefits.”

The tax burden is lower because we want parents to raise their children right, and raising them is expensive.

If you want the tax code to be rewritten to ignore the existence of dependent children, you're going to have a difficult time finding a political party or a candidate who agrees with you.
But not when it comes to welfare or workers comp or Healthcare or any other programs designed to help people out.

WSJ Editorial Board has some complaints and some advice for Vance:

“…
As it always does, the press has been digging up the VP choice’s comments over the years for political scrutiny, and the Ohio Senator turns out to be a target-rich environment. As a Senate candidate in 2021 he told Tucker Carlson, then a Fox News host, that the U.S. is being run by “a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they’ve made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable, too.”

That sounds like he was referring to Vice President Kamala Harris, who has two stepchildren but none of her own. The comment is the sort of smart-aleck crack that gets laughs in certain right-wing male precincts. But it doesn’t play well with the millions of female voters, many of them Republican, who will decide the presidential race.

… They’re mocking it on TMZ, a sure sign that this is Mr. Vance’s first big cultural impression, and not a good one.

… One possibility is that at some level Mr. Vance really doesn’t respect people who make different life choices. Politicians often reveal their true beliefs when talking to supporters, as Hillary Clinton did when she sneered at the “basket of deplorables” who supported Mr. Trump in 2016.

… If Mr. Vance doesn’t want to apologize, perhaps he could start showing up on stage with his wife, Usha. Her speech at the GOP convention was understated and warm, and she is clearly accomplished professionally. She might help persuade swing voters that Mr. Vance respects women more than his comments have made it seem.”

rut ro... MAGAS ain't gonna like this :oops:

At the same time the Donald Trump is flooding his Truth Social account with sketchy reports that Vice President Kamala Harris wanted to defund the police — when she was questioning where the funding should go — comes news from the New York Times that Sen. J.D. Vance (R-OH) was once a fierce critic of cops ,going so far as to claim he "hated" them.

In emails and texts obtained by the Times from Vance's longtime friend Sofia Nelson, in 2014 the newly annointed GOP vice presidential nominee railed at the police after the shooting of 18-year-old Black teen Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri.

He wrote to Nelson, "I hate the police. Given the number of negative experiences I’ve had in the past few years, I can’t imagine what a Black guy goes through.”

The report notes that the earlier version of Vance showed some enthusiasm for reparations, writing to Nelson, "I have at least been convinced of the virtue of compensating modern victims who’ve suffered redlining or denial of federal benefits.”
As a white male who has never had a negative interaction with a cop, makes me wonder what Vance was doing to have a number of them.

Rolling On The Floor Laughing GIF - Rolling On The Floor Laughing Emoji -  Discover & Share GIFs

WSJ Editorial Board has some complaints and some advice for Vance:

“…
As it always does, the press has been digging up the VP choice’s comments over the years for political scrutiny, and the Ohio Senator turns out to be a target-rich environment. As a Senate candidate in 2021 he told Tucker Carlson, then a Fox News host, that the U.S. is being run by “a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they’ve made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable, too.”

That sounds like he was referring to Vice President Kamala Harris, who has two stepchildren but none of her own. The comment is the sort of smart-aleck crack that gets laughs in certain right-wing male precincts. But it doesn’t play well with the millions of female voters, many of them Republican, who will decide the presidential race.

… They’re mocking it on TMZ, a sure sign that this is Mr. Vance’s first big cultural impression, and not a good one.

… One possibility is that at some level Mr. Vance really doesn’t respect people who make different life choices. Politicians often reveal their true beliefs when talking to supporters, as Hillary Clinton did when she sneered at the “basket of deplorables” who supported Mr. Trump in 2016.

… If Mr. Vance doesn’t want to apologize, perhaps he could start showing up on stage with his wife, Usha. Her speech at the GOP convention was understated and warm, and she is clearly accomplished professionally. She might help persuade swing voters that Mr. Vance respects women more than his comments have made it seem.”
"She might help persuade voters that Vance respects women more than his comments have made it seem" is peak rationalization and excuse mongering. Maybe, just maybe, Vance really believes the crap he says and he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Add the WSJ to the list of right-wing media sites who are less than enthused about Vance as Trump's running mate.

That seems relatable — guy was trying to sort through an unstable childhood and eventually took the name of the person who provided him some stability.
The difference between liberals and conservatives is that liberals will read this story and say, "yeah, seems reasonable; I have no issue with it even if it seems weird at first." Conservatives, in my experience, don't let go of their mockeries

How does he resolve it? With a small, simple step. Just include the wife's vote with the children's vote and have the husband cast them all. And if a woman is not married, then her vote is cast by the nearest male relative, usually the father, but on occasion, the paternal grandfather, eldest brother, or eldest uncle. While never publicly stating such a position, I'm sure Vance and his ilk think August 20th should be a national day of mourning because they believe America's slow decline began on August 20, 1920. I feel quite certain that a majority of hard-core Trump followers believe that the United States would be better governed if the 19th Amendment were repealed.
What if the male is a staunch Democrat and the woman is MAGA?

What if the male is a staunch Democrat and the woman is MAGA?
IF he is a staunch Democrat then it is axiomatic that he has committed some crime against the laws of man or the laws of God sufficient to disenfranchise him. In such a case the woman is entitled to divorce him and marry someone who is worthy to cast her vote.

So this showed up in my email inbox today. Apparently I’m highly recommended by Trump! Who knew?

IMG_0447.jpeg

Back