Trump Rallies & Interviews Catch-All | Trump: Jews will be to blame if I lose

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 939
  • Views: 21K
  • Politics 
One thing that occurred to me this morning — Trump announced his candidacy historically early, mainly to try to influence the criminal charges coming his way. That decision may be backfiring on him spectacularly right now. It would be hard for anyone to stay fresh for two full years, and Trump has always been a bit of a one hit wonder. But it’s so obvious now in contrast to Kamala, who seems fresh and energetic and hopeful about the future. Trump could hardly look older, more boring, more washed up. I’m really not sure he has a way to turn that around at this point barring a major meltdown by the Dems.

Last edited:
I’m really not sure he has a way to turn that around at this point barring an absolutely catastrophic meltdown by the Dems.
Even I, as a borderline insufferable cynic (including to myself), have turned a corner and now feel similarly. I don't think ttump can win, barring a Harris/Walz meltdown. ttump looks like 2022 Udonis Haslem out there.

One thing that occurred to me this morning — Trump announced his candidacy historically early, mainly to try to influence the criminal charges coming his way. That decision may be backfiring on him spectacularly right now. It would be hard for anyone to stay fresh for two full years, and Trump has always been a bit of a one hit wonder. But it’s so incredibly obvious in contrast to Kamala, who seems fresh and energetic and hopeful about the future. Trump could hardly look older, more boring, more washed up. I’m really not sure he has a way to turn that around at this point barring an absolutely catastrophic meltdown by the Dems.
Your mention of his early announcement to influence criminal charges is interesting. When he left office, I actually didn’t think he’d run again. It seemed like he never cared for the demands of the job and he never took being under scrutiny well at all. I figured he didn’t want any more of that and would just relish being a cult leader and Republican kingmaker outside of office. Basically he could maintain the status he had among his supporters without the demands and responsibilities associated with being president, and he could continue his grifting without the same level of scrutiny he would have if he were in public office.

But once it became apparent he would be facing criminal charges, I knew he would run again. It would be much easier for him to obstruct justice and get away with it.

I do wonder if he would have decided to run again if he were not facing criminal charges. Absent criminal charges, would he have declined to run again for the reasons I mentioned above?

Even I, as a borderline insufferable cynic (including to myself), have turned a corner and now feel similarly. I don't think ttump can win, barring a Harris/Walz meltdown. ttump looks like 2022 Udonis Haslem out there.
Trump is looking significantly old and crusty and he’s sounding very weak when he speaks publicly.
IMG_4647.webp

This is where I am…especially the last week or so.

I also feel like the House goes back blue, and I’m up to 50/50 on holding the Senate, where I was 25/75 at best a couple of weeks ago.

This is where I am…especially the last week or so.

I also feel like the House goes back blue, and I’m up to 50/50 on holding the Senate, where I was 25/75 at best a couple of weeks ago.
I want to see the post-Labor Day polls, but this feels like real, substantive momentum, as opposed to the momentum of circumstance Trump had after the debate and shooting. Political momentum is fickle, but when it’s rooted in substantive differences, it doesn’t tend to turn on a dime.

I want to see the post-Labor Day polls, but this feels like real, substantive momentum, as opposed to the momentum of circumstance Trump had after the debate and shooting. Political momentum is fickle, but when it’s rooted in substantive differences, it doesn’t tend to turn on a dime.
But as MO said last night, there will be a moment where something bad happens...and dont panic, work harder.

Absent criminal charges, would he have declined to run again for the reasons I mentioned above?

Absent criminal charges, would he have declined to run again for the reasons I mentioned above?
Trump would have run for two reasons: 1) he hates being thought of as "a loser" and 2) he's in his happy place when he's the center of attention. Being a despised ex-president doesn't sound like a gig The Donald would have been too interested in.

Trump would have run for two reasons: 1) he hates being thought of as "a loser" and 2) he's in his happy place when he's the center of attention. Being a despised ex-president doesn't sound like a gig The Donald would have been too interested in.
Yeah I also think he would have run regardless, but the criminal charges definitely played a role in it. I’m 100% certain he’ll blanket pardon himself if he has the chance again.

(Cont’d)

“… His prepared remarks included a call for child rapists to face the death penalty, but he did not deliver that passage. …”
Makes you wonder what St. Donald of Mar-a-Lago did at those Miss Teen USA pagents.

Your mention of his early announcement to influence criminal charges is interesting. When he left office, I actually didn’t think he’d run again. It seemed like he never cared for the demands of the job and he never took being under scrutiny well at all. I figured he didn’t want any more of that and would just relish being a cult leader and Republican kingmaker outside of office. Basically he could maintain the status he had among his supporters without the demands and responsibilities associated with being president, and he could continue his grifting without the same level of scrutiny he would have if he were in public office.

But once it became apparent he would be facing criminal charges, I knew he would run again. It would be much easier for him to obstruct justice and get away with it.

I do wonder if he would have decided to run again if he were not facing criminal charges. Absent criminal charges, would he have declined to run again for the reasons I mentioned above?
What you write speaks volumes about how far St. Donald of Mar-a-Lago trusts any Republican whom he might have endorsed for the 2024 election.

Yeah I also think he would have run regardless, but the criminal charges definitely played a role in it. I’m 100% certain he’ll blanket pardon himself if he has the chance again.
I think you make a really excellent point about Trump commencing his run so obscenely early for no political benefit but instead because of his legal issues -- he's worn out his base and maybe even himself with the incessant apocalyptic rhetoric and fund-raising. There were more than a few GOP strategists in 2022 and 2023 warning that Trump was abusing his grass roots fundraising to pay for his legal fees in ways that would undermine his calls for political fund-raising in 2024. But maybe the negative impact is more pronounced in his messaging than his fund-raising.

Maybe Trump Fatigue is finally catching up ... Barrack Obama had a great line last night comparing Trump to a neighbor using his gas-powered leaf-blower outside your window 24/7. I think that a good portion of the unexpected eruption of support for Harris is not just a celebration of "finally, they listened to us about not wanting an 81-year-old candidate" but also "finally a fresh message and messenger to counter the grumpy old men calling each other Nazis and communists."

Frank Luntz has been very critical of Biden's dark rhetoric about Trump as being too over the top, too dark and clearly turning off voters in Luntz's focus groups (basically saying nobody seems to believe Trump is the next Hitler, even if they loathe Trump). Luntz has the same critique about Trump's communist! Red Scare messaging about Harris -- sure, MAGA trolls seem to enjoy it, but ordinary voters see it for the bullshit that it is and are sick of the extreme rhetoric. Luntz is out there every day begging Team Trump to drop the Red Scare and DEI and sexist attacks and just hammer a few things, mainly inflation (not the economy generally, just PRICES people see in their local grocery store and restaurant) and immigration.

I think you make a really excellent point about Trump commencing his run so obscenely early for no political benefit but instead because of his legal issues -- he's worn out his base and maybe even himself with the incessant apocalyptic rhetoric and fund-raising. There were more than a few GOP strategists in 2022 and 2023 warning that Trump was abusing his grass roots fundraising to pay for his legal fees in ways that would undermine his calls for political fund-raising in 2024. But maybe the negative impact is more pronounced in his messaging than his fund-raising.

Maybe Trump Fatigue is finally catching up ... Barrack Obama had a great line last night comparing Trump to a neighbor using his gas-powered leaf-blower outside your window 24/7. I think that a good portion of the unexpected eruption of support for Harris is not just a celebration of "finally, they listened to us about not wanting an 81-year-old candidate" but also "finally a fresh message and messenger to counter the grumpy old men calling each other Nazis and communists."

Frank Luntz has been very critical of Biden's dark rhetoric about Trump as being too over the top, too dark and clearly turning off voters in Luntz's focus groups (basically saying nobody seems to believe Trump is the next Hitler, even if they loathe Trump). Luntz has the same critique about Trump's communist! Red Scare messaging about Harris -- sure, MAGA trolls seem to enjoy it, but ordinary voters see it for the bullshit that it is and are sick of the extreme rhetoric. Luntz is out there every day begging Team Trump to drop the Red Scare and DEI and sexist attacks and just hammer a few things, mainly inflation (not the economy generally, just PRICES people see in their local grocery store and restaurant) and immigration.
Two thoughts: 1. I believe Luntz is giving the Trump campaign valuable and needed advice. 2. The advice Luntz is giving the Trump campaign is a little like telling a dog not to lick his own asshole.

I heard they have a nice zoo there.
"The monkeys stand for honesty
Giraffes are insincere
And the elephants are kindly but they're dumb
Orangutans are skeptical
Of changes in their cages
And the zookeeper is very fond of rum
Zebras are reactionaries
Antelopes are missionaries
Pigeons plot in secrecy
And hamsters turn on frequently
What a gas, you gotta come and see