What's the history behind the Zigga Zoomba Lounge?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rock
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 314
  • Views: 5K
  • Off-Topic 
Wait wut? Rand was the pit preacher in 80's? Second half of 80's? I was there '85 to '89. I passed the pit preacher 2 or 3 times a week on way to or from classes.

He was kind of tall and lanky with straight blonde or dirty blonde hair. I forget his real name. But he would run towards me near the steps, point at me and shout "foooooooornicator" with his bible open. Crazy dude.
My favorite memory of "the Pit" was during my freshman orientation. The Drama Department staged a performance of "The Taming of the Shrew" at the Pit, using Victorian Era costumes. When I stuttered incoherently asking a cute girl I met during orientation if she wanted to go see it, she replied that she and two of her (female) friends had already decided on going and asked me to go with her. Quite the introduction to life at UNC.

My favorite memory of "the Pit" was during my freshman orientation. The Drama Department staged a performance of "The Taming of the Shrew" at the Pit, using Victorian Era costumes. When I stuttered incoherently asking a cute girl I met during orientation if she wanted to go see it, she replied that she and two of her (female) friends had already decided on going and asked me to go with her. Quite the introduction to life at UNC.
Did y’all hook up?

"I was there '85 to '89."

Me too. Good times...
85-89 I was working at Battle Hall-where "the wall" met Silent Sam We had phones with long cords and I could and did look at both -like all day-and all ya'll youngins having fun and Learning

Agreed. I never interacted with him much, but the guy practically lived on the politics boards 24/7 and constantly posted stuff night and day on nearly every politics-related thread. He was prolific, I'll give him that. Just before he was banned there were threads - long ones - where he literally had written about half the posts on the thread, or more. You couldn't avoid his posts, they were everywhere. And given the sheer number of his posts and his crazed posting style (he held nothing back when it came to attacking individual posters) he naturally became the focus of discussion on many threads, thus ruining them.
Around the time I was most active on IC and the BoB, rand was also on a couple of science-oriented boards that I frequented (EvC forums being one). There was no escape.

Anyway. I wasted a lot of time arguing with nitwits on the ZZL and the BoB. Some of it was amusing, like the time the one guy claimed airplanes violated the laws of physics, or another guy argued that climate change came from the earth's core, or another another guy claimed all climate data was literally faked, and on and on. Endless dumbassery.

Around the time I was most active on IC and the BoB, rand was also on a couple of science-oriented boards that I frequented (EvC forums being one). There was no escape.

Anyway. I wasted a lot of time arguing with nitwits on the ZZL and the BoB. Some of it was amusing, like the time the one guy claimed airplanes violated the laws of physics, or another guy argued that climate change came from the earth's core, or another another guy claimed all climate data was literally faked, and on and on. Endless dumbassery.
Was it KevinWilson who used to start all the "9/11 truth" or 9/11 conspiracy threads? This is one I can't seem to remember for sure.

Wait wut? Rand was the pit preacher in 80's? Second half of 80's? I was there '85 to '89. I passed the pit preacher 2 or 3 times a week on way to or from classes.

He was kind of tall and lanky with straight blonde or dirty blonde hair. I forget his real name. But he would run towards me near the steps, point at me and shout "foooooooornicator" with his bible open. Crazy dude.

Brother Jed Smock recently passed away.

Stephen was the Spring of 1978 visitor. So much more fun than the suits.

Attachments

• IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 6
Does anyone know the genesis of the ZZL logo? I think someone posted it on IC and I saved it for here.

Further, are there any other materials associated with that logo out there? I ask because I believe a redesign is in our near future.

Does anyone remember Cobb Dorm and Cobb Beach? It was all girls dorm when I was there. Did it have those honeycomb walls?

I ask because the above posts remind me of a Saturday night and a coed. They had a curfew at 10 or 11 when all males had to be out. So this cute girl I met on Franklin asks me back to her dorm with her and friends.

Only they had an RA on post to keep the riff raff out (me). The girl lived on 3rd floor. I scaled those honeycomb walls with tiny holes and snuck up to her room on 3rd. We had some fun but no gold medal, barely a bronze. Told me it was time to go at 2am, after drinking all night. So wrong. I never liked girls from Cobb again.

Does anyone remember Cobb Dorm and Cobb Beach? It was all girls dorm when I was there. Did it have those honeycomb walls?

I ask because the above posts remind me of a Saturday night and a coed. They had a curfew at 10 or 11 when all males had to be out. So this cute girl I met on Franklin asks me back to her dorm with her and friends.

Only they had an RA on post to keep the riff raff out (me). The girl lived on 3rd floor. I scaled those honeycomb walls with tiny holes and snuck up to her room on 3rd. We had some fun but no gold medal, barely a bronze. Told me it was time to go at 2am, after drinking all night. So wrong. I never liked girls from Cobb again.
Remember Cobb beach. My old mind xan't recall the walls.

Know this, bumeister…..to those of us with less scientific knowledge than you (which is damn near everyone on this board or the ZZL in its heyday), your posts provided a crapload of good information and education.

I appreciate your tilting at windmills efforts!

1) I never recall a curfew getting into Cobb in the ‘80’s;
2) definitely remember Cobb Beach!;
3) the honeycomb walls might be how the bricks are lined up on the “outside” corners of Cobb (and other 1950’s era buildings on campus)…….they aren’t honeycomb…….there are little horizontal “ledges” every 15-18 vertical inches……the “ledges” are about 1/2 an inch deep……they’re about 2-feet wide. In terms of climbing, these are incredibly good hand and foot holds. They’re actually GREAT holds….given the courage of alcohol and the possibility of well, you know……easy to make that climb.

It’s easy to climb up them…..I once climbed to the roof (basement and 3 floors) on Mitchell Hall (Geology) at the SE corner of the building. Then down-climbed it; my plan was to get on the roof. Why? No clue. I was 11.

Yeah, there's kind of a bro type thing amongst them. I joined way back. Never posted much. After a long absence I posted something and was replied with a bunch of "who the f**k is this guy.
I never cared for that crew.
Sandi in particular was a real a-hole toward me. He posted some pretty nasty lies about me and PM’ed threats to me saying he was going to contact my workplace. I believe it all stemmed from me saying Michael Jackson was a weirdo.

Probably the only poster I truly would have liked to punch.

They both post on HeelTalk all the time. I frequently read that board but have never posted there. They have an active community but it's a good deal smaller than the ZZLP. I like many of the posters there, but there's a certain snarky tone on many threads that other message boards usually lack, which I suspect is due to it being a smaller community where everybody has known each other for a long time.
Never understood why people just didn't leave IC and go post there. If more people went there it could really be a great alternative. You can talk about politics there, too, along with UNC sports and anything else on one board. Always thought that was better than the way things were separated at IC, and the board itself is just easier to use. It's great there is an option to talk politics once they close the ZZLP, but there has already been another option for years. Just needed more people posting.

Never understood why people just didn't leave IC and go post there. If more people went there it could really be a great alternative. You can talk about politics there, too, along with UNC sports and anything else on one board. Always thought that was better than the way things were separated at IC, and the board itself is just easier to use. It's great there is an option to talk politics once they close the ZZLP, but there has already been another option for years. Just needed more people posting.
Sandinista

Does anyone know the genesis of the ZZL logo? I think someone posted it on IC and I saved it for here.

Further, are there any other materials associated with that logo out there? I ask because I believe a redesign is in our near future.
Original logo I don't know much about. TegaM - the first ZZL mod may have made it. I will attach it

The one on the site now was made a by a user who offered it up to Ben to utilize for the site. i wish I could remember that users name right now.

Attachments

• 20_ziggazoombasign.jpg
    20_ziggazoombasign.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 6
After it was announced that the ZZLP was closing and before this place was created, I told my wife that the auto insurance info she was needing was in the glove department.
As she was correcting me I had a moment of sadness, thinking things like “glove department” were going to be a thing of the past.

Back