Black enrollment at UNC drops after ruling. Group who sued now coming for Duke.

• Thread starter Thread starter altmin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 118
  • Views: 2K
  • Politics 
But u are DISCRIMINATING against little rich white kids
Unfortunately, I think the there’s a good chance the financial aid structure will change to something with a steeper slope towards full pay (something like full ride up to $90-100k and no aid after $120-140k) resulting in, at least for the highly selective private schools, a smaller number of students getting meaningful FA, a greater % of affluent, largely white and foreign students and a reduction of middle income students.

Vast majority are white
I'm okay with that as long as it's not a proxy for discrimination based on race.

I'm also not sure if your statement is accurate by a few different measures. The median income of Asians is actually higher than whites in the US. And at least in UNC's case, they were discriminating against poor black and Hispanic kids. Rich blacks and Hispanics actually got a pretty big bump while poor black kids were actually less likely than whites to get in. So ending the program is actually discriminating against rich black kids.

Unfortunately, I think the there’s a good chance the financial aid structure will change to something with a steeper slope towards full pay (something like full ride up to $90-100k and no aid after $120-140k) resulting in, at least for the highly selective private schools, a smaller number of students getting meaningful FA, a greater % of affluent, largely white and foreign students and a reduction of middle income students.
Highly selective private schools are actually going the other way as donors and alumni demand the schools do something with those endowment dollars instead of making financial advisors and administrators rich. Poor kids are getting more money.

Your statement may be true for public schools and private schools with a smaller endowment.

Highly selective private schools are actually going the other way as donors and alumni demand the schools do something with those endowment dollars instead of making financial advisors and administrators rich. Poor kids are getting more money.

Your statement may be true for public schools and private schools with a smaller endowment.
Oh, I have a very good understanding of how these schools spend on FA. I wouldn’t expect total FA disbursements to change. If you have a steeper gradient, more students would receive full aid, but fewer students would receive any.
This may require going need-aware, or more likely, focusing on zip codes of applicants to target socioeconomic status in a manner that is race blind. This would allow a school to comply with SFFA on admissions, but make attendance very expensive for most “high merit” (largely white and Asian) admits.
I could very well be wrong. That’s just one of several options to maintain something akin to the status quo. What they cannot do, is reduce the number of full pay admits.

I mean, lets face it.....that was the intended result.
gtyellowjacket well knows the entire push for all this-he just falls for the "poor Asians getting discriminated against" part that made defunding DEI/AA somehow plausible

gtyellowjacket well knows the entire push for all this-he just falls for the "poor Asians getting discriminated against" part that made defunding DEI/AA somehow plausible
The intended result was to stop using racist policies to decide who to admit to Universities. Success.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized:

See last Part

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized:

See last Part
It's the "typically" that is going to be focused on, I bet.

It is the "meaningful part" of racism . If Hindus in Montana discriminate aginst Lutherans-it has very little impact on Lutherans
Turn it around and it is a big deal for the Hindus
I absolutely agree with you. But, it's also the part that those who "don't see race/racism" focus on.

I absolutely agree with you. But, it's also the part that those who "don't see race/racism" focus on.
Well lets say the Lutherans own the Bank in that town and the feed Store Its a big deal Or lets say UNC did not allow Blacks to come in for 175 years and so there was an effort to chip away at no UNC Black alums . And lets say for a lot of resaons that you know that it takes a few generations to chip away at it.

This is a bit of a common misunderstanding, I think, that a lot of folks have. But donors and alumni can’t “demand schools do something with those endowment dollars” because endowment dollars, by their very nature, are highly restricted in their specific utility by legally-binding gift agreements that are essentially contracts between institutions and donors. It’s why schools like UVA with a $15B endowment still work hard to continue to raise enormous amounts of money year over year, even though you’d think that they wouldn’t need to, what with a $15B endowment.

At schools with huge endowments, it is very typical for 90%+ of the overall endowment to be comprised entirely of restricted-use dollars. Endowments at universities, while they are generally invested and managed as a one large pool of money, they are not accessible as, or distributed as, one large pool of money as similar to, say, a checking account or a slush fund. A university endowment is comprised of hundreds or thousands of small individual endowed funds, each one individually created by an individual donor, for things like scholarships, student aid, faculty support, research, capital projects, etc. Each of those smaller endowed funds within the larger overall university endowment has its own legally-binding gift agreement signed by the donor and the university that the funds can only be used in the exact manner specified in the gift agreement. In other words, if a donor creates an endowed fund for a scholarship for an engineering student from Wake County, that fund cannot be used for a student studying business from Durham County. Or an endowed fund created with the purpose of providing funding for the department of English, can’t be used to provide funding to the department of physics. And so on.

The only funds from a university’s endowment that can be used in any manner at the discretion of the president, chancellor, dean, etc. are funds that are considered to be fully unrestricted. So if, as an alumnus donor, you wanted to give unrestricted support to the College of Egineering at Georgia Tech, you’d have to give it to whatever the CoE at Tech calls their “dean’s discretionary fund” at the CoE. Similarly, if you want to broadly support Georgia Tech as a whole, you’d give your dollars to the Georgia Tech Fund which is essentially the Institute’s presidential discretionary fund.

As I mentioned, only about 10% (and often times much less than that at many schools) of annual operating revenue from donor gifts and/or endowment returns comes in the form of unrestricted dollars. So if a school like UNC, with a $4B endowment, has an annual return of 4%- and if 90% of that return is already essentially spoken for because the dollars are restricted, it leaves comparatively very little discretionary income.

For any school that is offering more need-based financial aid to low-income and middle-income students, it’s because that school is specifically focusing its fundraising efforts on increasing the number of endowed scholarship funds that it has, not because the school is deciding to use other endowment funds to increase the financial aid pool.

For any school that is offering more need-based financial aid to low-income and middle-income students, it’s because that school is specifically focusing its fundraising efforts on increasing the number of endowed scholarship funds that it has, not because the school is deciding to use other endowment funds to increase the financial aid pool.
And I am proud to say UNC puts a good bit of their fundraising and resultant Endowement towards Financial aid Tell us about it Cford!!!

Back